As a new year is upon up we are seeing endless articles about goal setting, hitting the gym and of course all of those new year’s cleanses!
January is an amazing time for new beginnings and fresh starts, but what if there is physical or mental clutter that is holding you back from even starting to think about all the plans that you have for this year?
FIVE REAL WAYS to kickstart a new year!
- Hit UNSUBSCRIBE – It is amazing how easy it is that over 365 days we can toss around our email and sign up for so much unwarranted junk mail! Cleaning this up can be a bit of a daunting task if you haven’t organized your inbox in some time. Take baby steps and set aside 15 mins for a few days in a row to tackle unwanted mail! This already creates a sense of accomplishment and organization in your life and you will be a lot more on top of your responses!
- Clean out your closet – When was the last time that you wore that purple shirt with the stars on it? Or how about that blazer with the shoulder pads? . . . It’s likely been awhile. Start tackling your closet by using the rule of last worn. Ask yourself when the last time you wore the item was. If it has been more than 6 months to a year, I would say that it is time to put it in a bag and take it to donation! This will also make some much needed space for all the things that you bought on boxing day!
- Get a check-up – The new year always seems to have a theme of getting healthy and going to the gym but what about taking stock of what you’re working with? Schedule yourself a physical and how about a teeth cleaning while you’re at it?! Try and schedule your follow up appointments ahead of time. This way you won’t go months and all of a sudden need a root canal :S
- Think about finances – It might be scary to take a look at your statements right after the holiday season but trust me this is a necessary evil. Make sure your credit cards are paid, loans are consolidated and everything is in order for tax season. Best to tackle this early so that by the time you’re filing taxes it is a breeze and you will get a hefty return to put into your savings or vacation fund! Sounds silly but knowledge is power, never leave yourself in the dark on your own finances!
- Store Christmas and clean the house – Last but not least, after New Year’s, no one really wants to look at the Christmas tree or the elf on the shelf any longer until next year. In the last lull before work, use a couple hours to de-Christmas the house and do a full deep clean. Upon returning to the office, you will be so happy to come home to your cozy, tidy and clean abode.
These are a few of the tasks that will make you feel organized and ready to tackle the year ahead!
What do you do to prepare yourself for the new year? What typically holds you back and causes your to procrastinate on your goals? Take this year by the horns and make this your year!
Happy New Year